Sunday, May 30, 2010

So who are you looking at?














We have had several (well at least three) days of rain this week.

White-throated Treecreepers, Cormobates leucophaeus, seem to have appeared at the same time, but I am sure it is a coincidence and that neither is the cause of the other appearing ;p).

So far I have only seen females, as indicated by the orange spot below the eye.














Another "so far" is that I have only ever seen two, as far as I know; the one shown above this past week and the one shown at left, this same time last year.


That was also the first time I had ever seen one, although I then realised I had heard it before and been trying to identify the call for some time.












They seem to be very curious creatures, investigating any changes.


I had placed a possum box up in a tree and within an hour of the Treecreeper showing up it had investigated it, including popping inside and out again several times.







I wonder if they nest in hollows or whether they are drawn to any kind of hollow in their search for food. These two certainly seemed drawn to check out any little holes as they crept up the trees' trunks.


I must read some more of my books (and internet links) and report my findings; with any luck I might see for myself from my glorified bird hide aka my little cottage in the bush.

More info here
www.birdsinbackyards.net/finder/display.cfm?id=132

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-throated_Treecreeper

1 comment: